A lot of new and exciting features in this update!
First, main and the most exciting news: we have selected the name for the game!
Please welcome: Star Fortress ™. A new website for the game was registered as well: www.StarFortressUniverse.com
My team and I are very excited working on Star Fortress! We also hosted an event in Florida Unreal Meetup demoing a current functionality. That was really awesome!!! I did not expect such reception. Everyone had tons of fun fragging each other! :)))
Now, some progress and tech news:
Energy and kinetic weapons reload
Added new locomotion states: dive and roll, roll after a high jump
Finally I was able to compile server part of the game for Linux using clang 5 and Unreal Engine 4.19 (see programming tips)
Fusion Reactor (ver. 1)
Tons of small here and there updates
Some Programmings Tips
Need to get montage played only on a part of the body? Do like this:
Also, you can make an additive montage. I use it for a weapon recoil.
To compile UE 4.19 projects for Linux on Windows using clang 5 you need to disable warning as errors: c:\Unreal \ UE-4.19 \Engine \ Source \ Programs \ UnrealBuildTool \ Platform \ Linux \ LinuxToolChain.cs – Result += ” -Wall -Werror”;
+ Result += ” -Wall”;
Sniper’s scope is completely rewritten. What was wrong with the previous one? It worked as it supposed to work, but it had around 15-20 FPS drop when used. It was mainly caused by the fact that we used a second camera to render what you see in the scope. Why we used a second camera? Well, because we did not know any other alternatives how to make a hole in the blur panel (nice visual FX). After some experimenting with UE4 materials and a lot of trials and errors, I finally came up with a new logic that completely eliminates the second camera and does not cause FPS drop while having the same visual effect! :). As a bonus, a scope can be any shape (round, rectangular, etc) and, most importantly, it will preserve its shape when a window is resized.
Weapon recoil and spray patterns. This was heavily inspired by CS:GO.
The main idea here is that every shot follows by weapon’s spray pattern. That brings more realism into the game. It makes the whole game’s experience as a skill based game. There were some technical difficulties how to track aim,and a shot direction. But everything was nicely solved at the end.
This is how a curve looks like for the blaster weapon that I use for testing. Of cause it is all adjustable 🙂
Upgrade to Unreal Engine 4.19. That was somewhat smooth until we start building for Linux (the server part of the game). A lot of errors and warnings showed up. Interesting enough, it all came out from the engine’s generated code and clang. I spent at least 2 full days trying to fix that. Still, there is no solution yet. Good stuff that we can run it all meanwhile in Windows. But I still will be looking how to make it compiled on Linux.
We switched to articy:draft to better organize files and ideas instead of Google docs. I got so many documents, tables, images, diagrams, etc, so placing it all to articy:draft gave us a nice management solution. Let’s see how that works out, we are still on a trial version (10 days left).